We’re getting into the holiday spirit by scouring northern Nevada for some of the best family-friendly winter and holiday activities. Starting December 9, we’ll launch our Find the Family Fun contest on our Facebook page.
Each Monday and Thursday between December 9 and 30, we’ll post a snapshot of a family friendly activity in northern Nevada and ask you to guess the location of the family fun. They’re not going to be entirely easy, but each location is well-known in our community and a lot of fun for families during the winter and holiday season.
There are seven chances to win throughout the month of December and …
Vanessa Slots, MD, Renown Medical Group Pediatrics
Fall has arrived, which means it’s time for costumes, parties, tricks and treats! Below are a few tips to keep your family’s Halloween fun, safe and healthy.
- Ensure well fitting masks, costumes and shoes to avoid blocked vision and tripping.
- Brightly colored costumes and adding reflective tape to costumes and treat bags will help your child be seen more easily by motorists.
- Make sure swords, knives, wands, etc. are short, soft, and flexible.
- An adult should accompany any child younger than 12.
- Encourage older children to trick-or-treat with a group. Discuss ground rules, agree on an established route and set a curfew for when they should …
From the parade, BBQ’s and fireworks, the Fourth of July is a full day for the kiddos. ER visits tend to increase during the holiday so here are tips for keeping your family happy and healthy this Independence Day.
- For the day - The Fourth of July is typically a holiday that is spent outside. Make sure the family has plenty of sunscreen and water. Children are more prone to dehydration in the summer months because their bodies do not cool down as efficiently as adult’s. Add some extra hydration in the morning and don’t wait until the kids are thirsty to offer them something to …