If you have committed to breastfeeding your baby, you will find it works best when you’re comfortable, so put thought into creating a special space for you to bond with your little one.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Comfortable chair – Breastfeeding a newborn takes up much of the day so a comfy chair that supports your back and lets you shift positions, or even recline, is a must. A foot rest or foot stool is also important.
- Pillows – Nursing pillows or sleeves are great for taking some of the strain off your arms, back and neck.
- Blanket – A lightweight throw is perfect for covering up when you …
Get ready for the big day and sign up for a Baby & Family Suites Tour. This free tour takes place each month and includes a visit to our Baby & Family Suites, Labor & Delivery rooms, Labor Assessment Area and the William N. Pennington Nursery. You’ll also learn more about the pre-admission process, where to check-in and what to expect during your visit.
Tours are offered on the second Sunday of each month, from 10-11 a.m.
Thrush is a yeast infection of the nipples and can be difficult to treat. It can be easily spread and thrives in warm, moist environments, such as your nipples and your baby’s mouth.
If you or your baby has had a recent course of antibiotics, you may be at higher risk for developing thrush. The risk for infection can also increase if your nipples are cracked or damaged, or if you are taking oral contraceptives or steroids.
Symptoms may include:
- Itchy or burning nipples that appear pink or red, shiny, flaky and/or have a rash with tiny blisters
- Cracked nipples
- Shooting pains in the breast during or after feedings
- Intense nipple or breast pain that does …