Angela McEvers, Child Life Specialist, Renown Children’s Hospital
Without the appropriate explanation, a child’s first hospitalization or surgery can be scary for all those involved. Preparation is an essential part of making sure the experience is as positive as possible for your child.
To help you and your child prepare for surgery, I recommend watching the Children’s Surgery Video below with your child. This video will help in presenting developmentally appropriate information about the events and procedures that take place at the hospital. The hope is that this video will reduce your child’s anxiety and assist in making the setting familiar and recognizable so they can better visualize and understand what the experience will be like.
Do you still have questions about …
Susan Park, M.D., sports medicine specialist with Renown Medical Group
If your child is playing sports in Washoe County schools he or she will be required to get a sports physical prior to participation. These sports physicals are a great way to help ensure your child’s safety while they stay active and involved in sports.
During a typical sports physical, a doctor will go over the following:
- Height, weight, blood pressure, heart rate, and vision
- Medical history, including family history and past injuries
- Physical exam
The ultimate goal of the physical is to make sure kids are safe while they are being active.
- Reviewing illnesses such as asthma or a previous
As temperatures rise in the Truckee Meadows this summer it’s important for parents to be able to recognize dehydration and heat exhaustion in children. Though it varies based on the age and size of a child, kids in general have greater surface area to body mass so they lose fluids faster than adults.
Here are a few tips to ensure your child stays hydrated:
- Whenever your child mentions they’re thirsty have them drink. Typically this should be every 30-60 minutes.
- Hydrate your child with clear fluids (anything you can read the newspaper or a magazine through). These fluids will have the highest water content.
- Popsicles are a good option. …